Monday, May 30, 2011

Banana Muff-Cakes

Now that I am home for the summer I have a real life kitchen and I was inspired with boxed baking mixes. I know, not so interesting and definitely not healthy right? Well right, the brownie cupcakes I made were definitely not healthy. So to make up for that treat I thought I would try to lighten up for my next recipe. I saw caramel cake and thought it looked like a fun box mix but I ended up getting spice cake on accident. Oops. I was bummed thinking spice cake didn't sound half as good as caramel cake! But I experimented and I came up with these banana muff-cakes. Why the combination name? Well I have to credit my friend with the name :) but these cute little cakes are made with cake mix but they look like muffins (partly because they have no frosting) and let me tell you they were delicious! I thought they tasted like cinnamon crumb cake. Yum! I lightened them up by changing the box instructions a bit. I used only one egg and substituted a smashed banana and plain greek yogurt for the oil. Try these guys out, they are awesome! 


Banana Muff-Cakes 
1 Box Spice Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1 Egg
1 Banana Mashed
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt, but I'm sure regular would be fine too and if you wanted to used vanilla that would be fine)
1 cup of water

Preheat the oven to 350. Line a regular sized muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non stick spray. (I used the muffin liners) Combine the dry mix, egg, banana and yogurt until it is all mixed. Add water little by little until the consistency is think and moist. I ended up using the whole cup of water, but you may need less. I checked them after 15 minutes and then every 5 minutes after that, they took about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (you know the trick :)
Yield: 12 Big cupcakes (with some batter left over)



Enjoy!


TRIED AND TRUE: 
One friend used chocolate cake mix with the same recipe- yum. 
Another friend used the caramel cake (that I meant to get)- pretty good :)
This same friend used a mini muffin pan and the baked in 15 minutes. 
Thanks for the tips! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment